Title: Ram – Scion of Ikshvaku
Author: Amish Tripathi
Publisher: Westland Press
The youth needs to know the story of Ramayana and so this book is a blessing for this era. Nowadays, not everyone grows up listening to Ramayana and even if some might be knowing the story, no one is aware of the values that the story has highlighted.
It is a story of Ram, the greatest of all, who was born during 3400 BCE for the greater good. The story begins with the unforgettable war between Dashrath and Raavan in Karchapa. This book discusses all the parts of Rams life, starting from childhood to Sita’s kidnapping during their exile. The love between the four brothers was impeccable. Ram had always prioritized law. There are many values and customs that we are passed on by our elders and we follow them blindly. This book is a treasure as it accommodates the reason behind those values.
The writing style of this book is engaging. The author has explained all the scenes very well with all the important details. Of course, this book will tell you about the values that Ram seek for and honoured above everything.
Many points might seem different from the story that the reader already knows, but the author has once explained this in an interview. The author has said that there are many Ramayanas, written in a different way. Eventually, they conclude the same thing, but a few scenes are different.
Overall, this book is amazing and addictive. The map of 3400 BCE is given on the back cover page.
Some of the influential values given in this book are –
- Nothing is more important than dharma.
- If a tactic has led to failure, then persisting with it unquestioningly, in the wild hope of a different outcome, is nothing short of insanity.
- If karma gives us a negative signal repeatedly, then it isn’t testing us but trying to teach us.
- It is important to change the laws as the world progresses because the same old laws can’t hold the entire world together.
- Life is complicated and a balanced person can see both sides i.e. positive and negative.
About the Author
Amish Tripathi (born 18 October 1974) is an Indian author, known for his novels The Immortals of Meluha, The Secret of the Nagas, The Oath of the Vayuputras, Scion of Ikshvaku Sita: Warrior of Mithila and Ravan: enemy of Aryavartha