Councillor Gerald Vernon-Jackson, chairman of the LGA’s culture, tourism and sport board, said, “The number of people registering to use digital library services across some parts of the country has rocketed.”
During the government lockdown, as people are looking for more ways to entertain themselves, online library memberships have experienced an increased subscription of up to 770% in parts of the UK.
To prevent the potential spread of Coronavirus, the government has declared strict lockdown restrictions. This has shifted the attention of more people towards digital library subscription services.
According to the Independent, Hertfordshire County Council has experienced an increase in new digital users of up to 332%, Cornwall County Council has an increase of 630% and Hampshire County Council has seen an increase of 770%.
Also, Gerald said, “Council libraries provide a vital service for residents and act as community hubs in normal times. Their online digital contribution has now become equally important as people turn to them as a way to help pass the time at home.”
Emma Marigliano, chairwoman of the Independent Libraries Association, said, “Our libraries have certainly been working all out to continue to interact with their members and their many other users. And if public libraries have seen such a surge in activity during these rather strange times then I’d say this is definitive proof that a) books and reading are still lifelines for so many, and b) of claims that libraries work just as well as centres for community cohesion – which they absolutely do.”
Advantages of Digital Library Subscription
- 24*7 available.
- No physical boundary.
- Multiple access.
- Information retrieval.
- Preservation & conservation.
- No bookshelf space required to store.
- Added value.
- Easily accessible.
Top Eight Online Library
- World Digital Library. A source for manuscripts, rare books, films, maps and more in multilingual format.
- Universal Digital Library. A collection of one million books.
- Project Gutenberg. Over 33,000 e-books to read and download.
- Bartleby. An immense collection of books for consultation, including fiction, essay and poetry.
- ibiblio. E-books, magazines, academic essays, software, music and radio.
- Google Books. Over 100,000 books for consultation, download or on-line purchase.
- Internet Archive: The largest digital library for downloading e-books and audio-books for free.
- Open Library: More than one million e-books of classic literature to download.